What is a Totten’s Trust (or Poor Man’s Trust)?

A Totten’s Trust (also called a “poor man’s trust”) is essentially the same thing as a Pay on Death (“POD”) bank account.  (The name “Totten’s Trust” is taken from a 1904 New York case involving a person with this name.)  Using a POD account, a person was able to place proceeds into an account, and,

The Myths of Prenuptial Agreements

It seems that most people are aware of prenuptial agreements, especially those considering marriage.  However, even though many people have heard about prenuptial agreements, there are still many common misunderstandings about these agreements, including the following: Prenuptial agreements are only for celebrities or the wealthy.  Statistically, about 50% of all marriages will end in divorce

Indiana Child Custody Laws Child Custody – What Rights do I Have?

For many divorcing parents, child custody is the most contentious and fought-over aspect of the divorce process.  Children are the most important aspect of life for most parents, and it’s difficult to imagine not having them with us every night. In most cases in which minor children are involved, one parent will have primary (physical)

Hiring an Attorney for Your Child’s Divorce

In some divorces, the parents of one of the divorcing spouses may be willing to help contribute to the cost of legal fees on behalf of their son or daughter.  Frequently, such a contribution may be made because the son or daughter does not have sufficient assets, or because there are grandchildren involved.  If you

Indiana Expungement – Can I Seal Old Convictions So My Employer Can’t See Them? If So, Can I Thereafter Legally Say I Have Never Been Convicted of a Crime?

Thanks to recent changes in Indiana law, the answer to both of these questions is yes for all but sex on violent offenses. What are the requirements to seal an old conviction in Indiana? At least one (1) year after an arrest for which there was no conviction, a petition may be filed to expunge

How to Get an Indiana Hardship Driver’s License

Specialized Driving Permits replaced Hardship Driving Licenses on January 01, 2015. How do I get a permit to drive to and from work when my driving license is suspended? Can even a Habitual Traffic Violator (HTV) get a Specialized Driving Permit to drive to and from work? Most people with suspended driving licenses, including Habitual

Do Indiana Courts Favor Mothers in Child Custody Cases? And How Do Courts Decide Custody Disputes?

Long ago, Courts often followed the practice of awarding custody of children of tender years to the mother and teenage children to the parent of the same sex. Today, and for many years now, Indiana Courts determine custody based upon the best interest of the child. There is no presumption in favor of either parent.

What is Indiana Probate, Why Avoid Probate, and What Estate Planning Documents Should I Have?

Probate is the process by which your assets are distributed to your heirs after your death. Only assets in your own name, with no joint owners or named beneficiaries, pass through probate. Joint and pay on death bank and brokerage accounts pass directly to the joint owner or the named beneficiary by operation of law

Indiana Executor Duties & Trustee Obligations

What do I do when mom or dad die and I am named the executor or executrix under the Will or the successor trustee? Or there is no Will and I seek to be appointed the personal representative? Your first step is to contact an attorney. At our firm, we have been assisting individuals for

Estate and Trust Mismanagement – Your Rights

What do I do if I think my sibling is mishandling my parent’s estate or trust and will not tell me what is going on? Secrecy breeds distrust. Often times that distrust is warranted. If you find yourself in this situation, call us as soon as possible so that we may take appropriate action before

Blackstone Professional Center
8122 South Meridian Street
Indianapolis, IN 46217
Phone: 317.786.2225
Fax: 317.786.5263

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
By submitting this form we will take no action to protect your interests. Submission of this form does not establish an attorney-client privilege. Please do not submit any confidential information through this form.
We accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. We are AV Rated and conveniently located near Perry Meridian High School.